Jim Rice has been practicing accounting for 39 years – 31 of which he has served as a shareholder at Sol Schwartz & Associates The positive attitude and strong work ethic he witnessed at Sol Schwartz & Associates was part of the reason he decided to leave the national accounting firm he worked for.
Jim co-chairs our Healthcare and Litigation Support practice groups. He has established a particular client concentration with service practitioners such as doctors, lawyers and other professionals and family-owned businesses. Jim also has extensive experience providing tax-planning services related to real estate. His specialties include asset protection, income tax planning, estate tax planning and choice of entity planning. In addition, Jim provides expert witness testimony on various litigation support services.
A 1978 graduate of St. Mary’s University with the academic distinction of Summa Cum Laude, Jim has taken on several leadership positions in his professional and civic engagements. Jim is a 1997 graduate of the Leadership San Antonio program, and in 1998 was selected to the Texas Lyceum Association, a statewide organization with a goal to identify and develop the next generation of leadership in Texas.
Jim is also a published author at the San Antonio Business Journal, SA Medicine Magazine and MD News, where he writes on best practices relating to asset protection, income tax and estate planning and choice of entity planning. Jim was a contributing author for the book “Business Basics for Physicians” distributed by the Texas Medical Association. In 2012, Jim was recognized by the San Antonio Business Journal as a CPA of Distinction in the field of medical practice accounting and was awarded two Paul Harris Fellowship awards for his service with the San Antonio Rotary Club.
Professional / Industry / Community Affiliations:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries – Board of Directors
- San Antonio Medical Group Management Association – Member
- San Antonio Mentorship Association – Mentor of the Year
- The Patient Institute – Treasurer
- Kens-TV Channel 5 – Recipient of the High Five Award for Community Service
- American Association of Hispanic CPAs – Past Officer
- San Antonio Association of Hispanic CPAs – Past President
- American Diabetes Association – Past Treasurer
- Communities in School – Past Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of San Antonio – Past Treasurer